Sunday, November 25, 2012

MAKING A LIST AND CHECKING IT TWICE


MAKING A LIST AND CHECKING IT TWICE
     The Christmas holidays sometime catch us unprepared either financially or else we’ve forgotten something important. The following list can help us remember things that are traditionally done, can serve as a list from which we might set a budget for, or help us determine what we already have and can use again. I know that this year, I will run very short of Christmas cards. I have quite a few “cute” cards, but since I’ve determined to keep Christ in Christmas this year, I will have to buy additional cards that reflect this. My list of people to whom I will send cards is relatively small, so one box of really nice cards is included in my budget.
     Since my daughter and son-in-law’s birthdays fall on the 24th and 25th their gifts are also included in my holiday budget. Yes, and this year I have to buy more wrapping paper. I’ve pretty well used up a supply that I had over the past years and also used up all of my gift bags.

     This list will bring to remembrance things that you may wish to include in your holiday planning, to calendar them into a busy schedule, I’ve alphabetized the list. If you find that I’ve left anything off please send me a message or comment so that it will appear here and help others.

Topic                                                     Already Have   Don't Have    Budgeted Amount
FAMILY
Caroling
Door Adornments
Garlands
Gift Bags
Gift Giving (itemize per person)
Gift Wrapping
Holiday Craft Fairs (for arts and crafts gifts)
Holiday Flowers
Holiday Food and Drink
Homemade Gifts
Lights in the Yard
Lights on Your Home
Mantle Decorations
Music
Nativity Scenes
Parties
Photographs
Porch Decorations
Remembering the Poor and Needy
Stockings Hung with Care
Table Settings and Centerpieces
The Christmas Story
The Spirit of Christmas
The Christmas Tree
Traditions (itemize specifically)
Visiting Santa
Window Paintings
Wreaths
Yard Displays

If you must plan for your business or job, the following list may help:
BUSINESS
Business Greeting Cards to Send
Decorating the Office
Gifts to Give (itemize)
Holiday Parties or Events
Christmas Dinner, Potluck or Buffet
Gift Wrapping
Music
Remembering the Poor and Needy
Traditions
Window Painting

PLANNING TO ATTEND COMMUNITY EVENTS
Holiday Parades
Neighborhood Holiday Displays
Arts and Crafts Festivals
Feeding the Hungry and Homeless
Stuff the Bus
Donating Toys to Tots
Visiting Santa

WATCH FOR OTHER COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES   
     Watch for other special activities such as coloring contests and sporting events such as walk-a-thons, bicycle or toboggan races, ice skating, etc. in local newspapers and TV news stations. If you are a member of a community organization, don't forget to look on their newsletters.
PLANNING SPECIAL EXCURSIONS AND TRIPS
     I like to attend the Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, California every few years. It is sort of a family tradition because I designed the Downey Rose Parade Float in 1976, one of the last independently designed, volunteer constructed floats left in this huge annual parade. When my daughter was 16 we spent the week before in Downey so that she could help decorate the float with flowers. They we joined the bust trip up to Pasadena to view the parade on Colorado Blvd. from specially reserved seats. A great experience for our family. So if you are planning a trip be sure to include this in your budget and place it on your calendar.


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment