Monday, October 21, 2013

Why I go to church
     Yesterday was a perfect example of why I love going to church. Speaking frankly, I‘ve been a little depressed lately. But there was never any question about whether I would attend our church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, where we have a three hour block of meetings (mine begins at 1pm and goes to 4pm) beginning with sacrament meeting where we partake of bread and water in the name of Jesus Christ and covenant to remember him and his atoning sacrifice; next comes Sunday School where various age groups meet together in a course of study (as an adult I attend the Gospel Doctrine class); finally we break into Priesthood for the men, Relief Society for the women, the youth ages 12-17 attend Young Men or Young Women, and the children ages 3 to 11 attend Primary (little ones 18 months to 3 go to the Nursery) which began an hour earlier.
     Now you will understand what I am talking about, these terms being defined.
In my Sunday Meetings I asked Myself this Question:
“What should I be doing NOW to accomplish the work God has entrusted to me?”

     During the sacrament, I determined to repent of my depressed state and begin to find joy in my life again. I covenanted to humble myself before God and to repent of recent behavior patterns that have weakened my spiritual strengths and gifts.
     I have determined to begin with might prayers. I had become so sad and depressed over my inability to work out the Hicks of Baltimore Maryland Family Groups, as well as not being able to remember things that I’d previously read or done during research of this surname.
     Also, I’ve felt such a failure in my own family because my daughter and her husband won’t even entertain the possibility that this is the Lord’s church and thus could perish in their unbelief. I love my daughter and her hard heartedness breaks by own heart.
     Thirdly, I’ve spent too much time on things that have less eternal value, often choosing good over better or best. Fourth I’ve gained 30 lbs back, my clothes are not fitting, my legs have swollen and my knees are killing me.
     The only way to break this chain that physically binds me, is to rely on the atonement of Jesus Christ…. His gift to me, and all of us who find ourselves up against tough circumstances. I can’t do this alone, apparently. I must beg Him to help me. Thus, I turn to mighty prayer.
Sundays Lesson from a Prophet, Lorenzo Snow, Spoken in the 1880’s
     Lorenzo Snow says, “It is now time for Latter-day Saints to humble themselves before the Almighty… to find out wherein they have committed themselves; …and to repent of their sins and follies and call upon the Almighty, that His aid may be given;… that we may go forward and accomplish the great work entrusted to our care.”
     Does this sound familiar. You see how Sunday’s lessons infiltrated my mind. Now begin to see how today I saw God’s hand in my life.
     During the Sacrament I determined to begin praying more, reading and studying the scriptures more diligently (for sometimes weeks go by where I’ve only glanced at or read a few verses); and write in my journal and begin again to write here in my blog. I’d become discouraged about the blog because what I am interested in, most others aren’t.
Now You Will Hear Me Boo Hooing!
     I miss my late husband, Bob. I’m in a home in the desert and not one by my beloved ocean. My car is old. My body is old. And it appears that I have very little influence in other people’s lives.
     So Lorenzo Snow’s words, “We are engaged in the work of God. The prospects before us are glorious, but let us be impressed, in every work of our hands, that we are the servants of God and doing His will. Let not our integrity be impaired, but our faith be continually increased as we proceed through life” lift my Spirit, continuing he and I, too, “….would (will) be satisfied to act where Providence has placed me, and ask God, the Lord, what I can do to aid in building up the kingdom of God in that place.”
“Move on! Move on, and see the salvation of the Lord.”
     This morning I see God speaking to me through the scriptures when I first opened them my eyes fell upon this verse that I’d highlighted in Doctrine and Covenants 25:10 given to encourage and reveal God’s will to Emma Smith, the Prophet’s wife: “And verily, I say unto thee that thou shalt lay aside the things of this world, and seek for the things of a better.”
“Seek Ye First the Kingdom of God”
     I then turned to Luke 12:31 JST “Therefore seek ye to bring forth the kingdom of God, and all these things shall be added unto you…” and in verse 33 “… provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.”
     In Jacob 2,  I found a wonderful discourse on seeking not after the things of this world, but to seek after your treasures in heaven.]
     “But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God. And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and feed the hungry, and liberate the captive (whether someone bound by chains of sin via missionary work, or captives in spirit prison via temple ordinances for the dead) and administer relief to the sick and afflicted.”
Remembering the Stories of Our Forefathers
     Then, as I turned to Helaman 5, where I’d left off reading previously in the Book of Mormon, I find Helaman talking to his sons, Nephi and Lehi, “Behold I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how it was said, and also written that they were good.”
     “Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written, even as it has been said and written of them.”
     Oh, my goodness, we’ve been asked to record the stories about our ancestors that make them come alive, and try to find the good!
     Helaman continues, “And now my sons, behold I have somewhat more to desire of you, which desire is, that ye may not do these things that ye may boast, but that ye may do these things to lay up for yourselves A TREASURE IN HEAVEN, yea, which is eternal, and which fadeth not away; yea that ye may have that precious gift of etrnal life.”
     “…Yea, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea remember that he cometh to redeem the world.”
Remembering the Savior
     This is such an important principle that Jesus Christ tells us this very thing when he appears to the Nephites at their temple in Bountiful on this continent after His resurrection. He first shows them how to pray (The Lord’s Prayer; and how to pray properly) then he says, “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth where moth and rust doth corrupt and thieves break through and steal; But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal; “
“For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
     To answer the question of what should I be doing NOW to accomplish the work God has specifically entrusted to me, I reread my patriarchal blessing and know that I must refocus my efforts in these areas:
1.     Pray often and fervently
2.   Diligently read and study the scriptures
3.    Be an influence for good among my fellow associates and friends
4.    Bring to pass much righteousness upon the earth
5.    Finally, continue in my calling helping others find their ancestors, as well as my own, and as my blessings states that I “will not rest until I do all within my power to seek out my forefathers and perform for them a work they cannot do for themselves.,” These are the opportunities and blessings that I enjoy as being a member of the Lord’s Church

     See why I go to church? 
    I go to receive guidance from the Holy Spirit through inspired teachers who prepare prayerfully, material that our prophet and apostles have reviewed in correlation meetings, to come forth in the Lord’s good timing. It is like reading the Scriptures… they reveal just what you need to hear to help you in life right when you need it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment