Tuesday, December 27, 2011

New Year's still a few days away: start simple


When I began this process of setting goals at the beginning of the New Year, some 30 years ago, I didn't know what I was doing. And guess what? It still worked! I decided that I wanted to be who Heavenly Father wanted me to be, so I prayed for his help in understanding my Patriarchal Blessing. I received mine while in my early twenties and quite frankly, didn't know what most of it meant. I was a convert to the church and didn't have the Primary or Young Women's classes to give me a little background in the words that I found in my blessing. So, whether you are sixteen or sixty, begin by just reading it through once a day for the next few days, thus...
My Suggestion is that you start simple. Begin with prayer and just read it through once a day. Set a specific time and place to do this. Don't try to determine anything at this point. Just read and be open to any thoughts that come to you. Write these down if you wish in your journal, or start a three-ring binder or notebook.            
 
MY QUESTION FOR YOU: How often have you read your Patriarchal Blessing before this? Ponder if this is your own personal scripture revealed from God, how often do you think you should read it?
            We are told to study our scriptures daily. No, I’m not suggesting that you read your patriarchal blessing every day, except during this initial New Year's goal setting process, but shouldn’t you give it a regular place in your scripture study? 
            It doesn’t matter whether you have only recently received it and upon first reading were disappointed because it sounded so generic, or it didn’t answer one of your Life’s Questions, or if you’ve read it many times over many years. There are insights to be learned by a regular, diligent study of the Lord’s personalized message to you.

If you daily review your blessing these coming days, and pray with sincere intent to set goals in keeping with the Lord’s will, He will bring into you sphere of awareness a book, scripture, quotes, talks, friends and their comments and a guide in your scripture study that will seem like a bright spotlight. You will know when this happens because it will seem so very right, like a bolt of inspiration out of the blue, or an Ah, Ha Moment. You will have a joyous recognition that you are seeing God’s hand in your life.

Elder Packer's experience is very common (See previous post and  "Counsel to Youth" by Elder Boyd K. Packer pages 16-19 October Ensign 2011) Begin today. Read your Patriarchal Blessing and keep it simple, don't make a big project out of it.

I am hoping that you, too, will find out how the Lord blesses us as we take the time to STUDY his words to us through the inspired counsel of the stake patriarch. After 30 years, I’ve found hidden meanings in words and phrases that are in my own patriarchal blessing; discovered themes used to set annual goals; and gained a burning testimony that God knows me intimately and wants me to succeed in my life’s mission. May God bless you with such experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment