Thursday, March 1, 2012

A Genealogist Looks at Isaiah

Liken Isaiah's Writings Unto Yourself
As we study the words of Isaiah in the Book of Mormon this month during Gospel Doctrine class, I decided to "Liken these Scriptures Unto Myself" ... a genealogist... a family historian. I've seen phrases in Isaiah in past years that have drawn me into learning more about what he was talking about. The idea of truly understanding Isaiah has intrigued me for years. In the late 1980s I became familiar with Avraham Gileadi's translation of the book of Isiah and read some of his ideas about what some of the symbolism meant. He introduced me to the concepts of literary devices that were used by the Lord's ancient prophets. This style of writing (often called the 'manner of the Jews') was something that I'd never heard of before. Gileadi said, "many literary features in Isaiah, each of which can communicate a message apart from the literal text..." He went on the say that the ancient prophets "carefully crafted their prophetic writings so that all their words would have meaning, so that even the way they organized their material would carrying a message."  This is the Lord's way of communicating, everything has its likeness in God's creation of the universe: everything counted. I was fascinated by this concept because it carried the hint of something that I already believed. I began to study these devices. The first one I studied was chiasm.
What is Chiastic Structure?
A chiasm (ky'-az-um) represents a writing style that – once understood – clarifies, emphasizes and reveals a deeper meaning in the Scriptures than is revealed in just a surface reading of these same verses. A chiasm is a literary style that some call the “chiastic (ky'-az-tic) approach.” Once you understand how the chiastic structure works, it can dramatically enhance your understanding of those verses in the New and Old Testament where chiasms appear.(article by Thomas A. Clarke)

Clarke goes on to say that a  chiasm organizes themes much like a sandwich: A) a piece of bread on top, B) mustard, C) a piece of meat, C') another piece of meat, B') more mustard, and finally A') another piece of bread on the bottom. Chiasms generally focus on the meat, but the bread and mustard are necessary for a complete sandwich. Some chiasms do not have a mustard layer, other chiasms have lettuce on both sides of the meat, and some have just one piece of meat. 

I thought about this a lot over the intervening years and wondered if I would ever recognize this structure in my scripture studies. In Mexico during the late 1990s I came across a book entitled "Language of the Lord." by H. Clay Gorton. I realized that the familiar turn of phrases used in the Old Testament, quoted in the New Testament and found again in The Book of Mormon were also found in the Doctrine and Covenants. A lightbulb went on!!! It was the same author, the Great Jehovah, Jesus Christ, the Redeemer and Savior of the World; I recognized his voice. The scriptures tell us that his sheep will recognize his voice (John 10:27)
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

I even tried my hand at writing a chiastic poem about Isaiah. Every few years I would revisit this piece of creative writing and rework it. It is VERY difficult to write chiastic structure; take my word for it. It is not something Joseph Smith could have done just on a whim. It was the Lord talking through him. Here is the latest version of the poem that I wrote:

Blessed Patriarch


             This a poem to you, Isaiah,          
white haired, bent over your scroll,
weighed down with a vision’s burden.
Ancient prophet, whose life was in a palace,
yet servant of our King.
Your place was unique in time, chosen.
Our Father loved and trusted you.
As I read and ponder your words,
my world changes;
a polar shift occurs.
Your mysterious words
sift into spirit patterns of meaning,
the language of the Lord,
touching the center place of my soul.
Illumination bursts forth,
I know who I am now.
Chosen and set apart in the preexistence,
to write of these last days,
the songs of His heart for me. 
I can see more clearly
the face of my Counselor,
my God and my King.
The heavens unroll as a scroll
because of you,
Oh, blessed of patriarchs,
Great are the Words of Isaiah.
© 2010 by Beverly E. Field



1 comment:

  1. Bee,
    Thank you for quoting my article, "What is a Chiasm?" (Actually my name is Thomas B. Clarke, but that's okay.)

    Today I added a feature to a related article entitled, "How to Find Chiasms in the Bible" (http://www.bible-discernments.com/joshua/finding_chiasms.html). The added feature is the bullet labeled "Test Your Skill Now." If you're up for a challenge, you might try it. Let me know if you do.

    ReplyDelete