Friday, January 31, 2014

Dusting Off Depression

Pick Myself Up, Dust Off the Depression
       I’ve been reading an “LDS Living” magazine article published by/as a division of Deseret Book, which I receive as a platinum customer. It has offered me a rare insight into one of the phrases listed on page 19 under the title “What God Expects of You.”

SEEK KNOWLEDGE
     Just this past month I’ve learned about the first law of Camp Fire, “Worship God” and now I realize that the fourth law of Camp Fire, “Pursue Knowledge” means more than I had always thought; more than being the first member of my family to complete a college education.

       My Husband’s life theme had been Doctrine and Covenants 88:77-81. Here we are commanded to gain knowledge, then teach, testify and warn our neighbors, “Of things both in heaven and in the earth, and under the earth; things which have been, things which are, things which must shortly come to pass; things which are at home, things which are abroad; the wars and the perplexities of the nations, and the judgments which are on the land; and a knowledge also of countries and of kingdoms.” 
GIVE SERVICE
       Seek all of this so as to fulfill your life’s mission, we are told. This gathering of knowledge is to be used serving God and our fellow man. This verse was quoted last night by my home teacher… a reminder to pick myself up, dust off the depression (the dust of daily battle) and see God’s hand in my life; to see myself as God sees me and get back to the work serving Him by serving others: the third law of Camp Fire.

This is the whole list of What God Expects of Me
… and you


1.       Be imperfect but hope to strive continually for improvement
2.       Live optimistically with obedience, hope and faith
3.       Seek Him out and allow Him into your life
4.       Forgive yourself and learn from your mistakes
5.       Be patient and kind with yourself
6.       Be His hands on earth, helping others and allowing others to help you
7.       Seek knowledge
8.       Have joy
9.       Overcome and be triumphant

No comments:

Post a Comment