Monday, February 5, 2018

Favorite Names

#52Ancestors
Week 6 Favorite Name
     The topic of names is one of my favorites. I wrote a whole blog post early on about the meaning of names.
Place Names
     I’ve been reading in the Book of Mormon where Lehi names a river after his oldest son, and a valley after his second oldest son, and when Ishmael the father of another family dies, he names the place Nahom which means in Hebrew “consolation” from the verb naham, “be sorry, console oneself.” Another place was named Shazer meaning twisting, intertwining.
My Family Favorite Names
     So with this fascination for names how can I pick one? My grandmother is Rosa Etta Sarepta Hicks Utterback, her brother was Elijah Japeth Shannon Hicks. This last one for years sent me on a wild goose chase thinking Shannon was the maiden surname of his grandmother. It wasn’t. So, never guess and suppose something. Always get the proof. My friend’s uncle has a middle name of Fields and he’s never found another Field in his genealogy. I knew a childhood friend named Drake. He was named after the doctor that delivered him. So you just never know.
Add Foreign Names for Hilarity
     When we lived in Guadalajara, Mexico our first house was on a street named J. J. Martinez Aguirre. It is pronounced in Spanish which sounds like “hota hota Martinez Aquirrrrrr A.” I loved the way this felt in my mouth, so it was fun to tell people where we lived in Chapalita. It was a beautiful home with windows that opened like French doors filled with small beveled panes of glass that cast rainbows on the walls when the sun would shine through. My husband Bob had a favorite road name he liked. He would see it when he would drive from Little Rock, Arkansas to Jackson, Mississippi. It was called Fortification Road. Being the foreign language Geek that he was, he’d always think of this word with an Irish ??? accent and it came out, “Fartification Road” and he’d chuckle every time.
I guess adding a foreign language to a favorite names list can really be interesting.


No comments:

Post a Comment