Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Christmas Window Painting

I was the Director for a small Art Museum in Downey California in 1970's



     I started painting holiday windows my Senior year in High School. Continuing in Jr. College I began taking photographs of every example of window painting that I saw. during the ensuing years, I earned sufficient money between Thanksgiving and Christmas to pay for my Spring Semester college expenses!
     When I was the director of the Downey Museum of Art 1969-1976, I held a workshop on this holiday activity and folk art form and included it in an exhibit of holiday art expressions (i.e., cards, wreaths, tree decorating, etc.) Better Homes and Gardens featured photos of me and how to "do it" in their Christmas Ideas Issue in 1976.
     Not only was the exercise of going up and down a ladder keeping me fit and burning off holiday calories, but many of my repeat clients had stores/businesses all over. One actually flew me to Salt Lake to paint the windows of his two car dealerships!
     This is mostly popular in warmer, non-rainy climates and I always wondered where the tradition began, that is until I moved to Guadalajara, Mexico and found windows there galore. I looked back over my earlier photos, and guess what? Almost all the names of the designers (yes, they'd sign their name and phone number on the lower right of a window) were Hispanic surnames!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment