Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Feeling Better than I Have in a Long Time

Monday afternoon I went to an orthopedic doctor thinking I had acquired a bone spur in my right thumb when I worked for the 2010 US Federal Census. Some weeks there were spent working 8 hours a day plus overtime picking, peeling and placing labels on all those forms for people who had not mailed in their questionnaire. (Shame on all you genealogists who didn't send yours in!! There were actually fewer personal questions on this years form than the one for 1900.)

I figured that particular repetitive motion had aggravated that pinch/pick motion of the first finger and thumb and my body had revolted. Wrong. It was just arthritis. They gave me a shot of cortisone, pasted a band-aid over it and told me it would hurt like heck for a day or two. They were right. The next day I couldn't even write using a pencil or type on my computer. Today however, I woke up feeling absolutely fabulous. I swept floors, washed dishes, folded clothes, made breakfast, took out the trash and on and on. Wow! what a difference.
I think some of this feeling good was also the result of a service project from my home teacher. While I was at the doctor's appointment, he added 3 and a half inch wooden blocks to my recliner rocking chair. Now instead of pulling myself up by throwing my feet out, using my hands to brace myself and straining my knees to stand up, I simply just have to lean forward, and stand up to get out of the chair.

I have the best home teacher in the whole wide world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment