Monday, January 9, 2012

People Mentioned in Your Patriarchal Blessing


SCRIPTURE: “What I the Lord have spoken, I have spoken, and I excuse not myself; and though the heavens and the earth pass away, my word shall not pass away, but shall all be fulfilled, whether by mine own voice or by the voice of my servants, it is the same.”
-- Doctrine and Covenants 1:38

“Remember to Start this Study of Your Patriarchal Blessing with a Prayer”

     What people are mentioned in your Patriarchal Blessing?
     If our patriarchal blessing is our own personal scripture we should know about the people that are mentioned in it.Make a list of these people. They may be living or dead; the names generic or specific. I could not find my list of names from years ago, so I made another one, while preparing to write this. Boy, was I in for a surprise.
     On first reading I found Joseph, Ephraim, fellow associates, friends, husband, parents, forefathers, and Elijah. Then I thought, hmmm should I include Jesus Christ? Well, certainly because He is the very person who is the author of my blessing! 
Who was Your Patriarch?    
Then I thought, oh my, here is another name that I haven’t thought of in many, many years…John Henry Meyers. Who is he, you ask? He is that worthy Priesthood holder who was the patriarch in the Stake where I was baptized. His name is at the very top of my blessing. I was the 55th person to receive a blessing under his hands. I took a moment to ponder what I knew about him. Not very much. I saw Elder Meyers in the Los Angeles temple, where he was a sealer, in 1977 some nine years after my blessing was given to me as a new convert. He remembered me! I couldn’t have been more surprised. I am sure that he had given another 1,000 or more blessings by then. You see, once a patriarch always a patriarch. These men must go through a period of preparation before they can begin giving blessings, at least this was my understanding from the two other men I knew over the years who were called as Patriarchs.
  Another Important Name in Your Patriarchal Blessing
     If I had missed both his name and Jesus Christ’s name in my blessing who else had I missed. Another reading and I added “sons and daughters” and “elect of the Lord” to the list. The next morning, I had a little burst of inspiration that I’d forgotten one name. My own. Sure, most of you are going to say, “Well duh, Beverly, of course your name is pronounced first thing when the patriarch lays his hands on your head and gives his authority to give the blessing.” But over the years, it had simply become invisible to me.
However, when I’d first received my blessing, all I could think about was me, me, me. What was God saying to me, me, me? In reflection, there really is a time to be self oriented and to “know thyself” and then “to thine own self be true.” In other words, a righteous way not an egocentrical way to come to understand who you are, why you are here and what you should be doing with the gifts you’ve been given. A study of your blessing beyond the surface words will do just that and it can also be humbling, because the Lord teaches us through personal revelation as we study. He will show us our weaknesses and areas where we need to improve.
      When we come to know who we are (even though we are not perfect yet), then we realize that we must serve others. We should be an influence for good in our families, our communities, among our friends and co-workers, in our callings and in the world. We can find areas to be of service in the sentences where other people are mentioned in our blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment