Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy 100th Birthday Arizona! Happy Valentine's Day!

Today was Amazing!!!
          Arizona celebrated it's 100th birthday today. President Taft signed AZ into statehood as the 48th state. The celebrations have been going on for several days and culminated today.
          Happy Valentine's Day to all those who love and are loved. My family shared sweet treats with grandchildren, our daughter and her husband. What a delight. My former visiting teacher brought over four cupcakes that she and her daughter baked and decorated, saying, "I've been thinking of you a lot and just wanted to let you know." The night before special ward friends brought us a dinner of delicious grilled salmon and chicken and rice soup. It is so special to be remembered.
          My husband and I knew a very special girl from our Palo Verde Ward experience in 2006 through 2008 when we moved to Picture Rocks. Her name is Taylor Lancaster. She entered the foster care system right after we left and was placed with a Ms. Snow in our Picture Rocks Ward. That placement let us get to see Taylor every Sunday and reconnect. We just loved this young woman. She then ended up in a different location just over a year ago and we grieved that we would never see her again. Serendipity occurred today. I went to the Snow's home for a visit with a friend. I hadn't really talked to Ms. Snow since Taylor left so when she told me that she'd finally met Taylor's new foster mom she told me she'd given her our phone number. When I returned home after the visit, I received a call from Taylor!!!!! How wonderful to get an update, get her email and to be able to keep in touch with her. She'd never left our hearts or prayers and now we can stay in touch. Love it.
        AND IT SNOWED!!!
          When my friend came to pick me up to go over to visit the Snows she told me it was snowing as she came over the pass from Tucson. If you look at the background of this blog you will be looking down the road that goes over the pass into Tucson. There were golden flowers carpeting the ground there over the weekend. I have lavender and yellow wildflowers growing in my backyard. Although I live in a little dip lower in elevation and we seemed to only have rain and hail, the mountains in Saguaro National Park West were delightfully dusted with snow. It was beautiful. But I suspect it got the wildflowers and probably killed the chance for a brilliant spring like the ones shown here. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.
        Thoughts About Writing a Story
         When an amazing day happens, it should be remembered. Why not write a story. Whether it is just one simple paragraph or a one page "spotlight focus" on a family member, treasured family experience or like my special day today with it's Serendipity of Snow and old friends, family and sweet treats, we just have to take the time to DO IT! Then place it in our Book of Remembrance. We could write a longer story about ourselves (autobiography) or about an ancestor (biography) tying in to a common theme. Here are some simple guidelines to remember:
1.  Review Sources -- Choose what is to be left out
2.  Pick Out Themes -- Service, economics, achievement, holidays
3.  Assess Personalities and Character
4.  Tell the Story -- Narrative is best when selective
5.  Look for Causes -- Why things happened or Serendipitous occurrences
6.  Look for Motivation -- Reasons behind peoples behavior
7.  Bring Out Spiritual Lessons -- Bear your testimony
I hope you will take the time to record a special story that will delight you descendants one day in the future when they read it. I wish my grandmother had written about her life. I would so treasure it. So write short and in your own voice, using your own personality and it will be a TREASURE.
       

No comments:

Post a Comment