Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Remembering Mom - She'd be 100 Today!

Happy Birthday, Mom
Vivian Ruthe was born 1 Feb 1912 in Kansas City, Missouri. Her parents were Herschel Elmer Utterback and Rosa Etta Sarepta Hicks. She was a "corker" according to her mother when she sent a picture of her to her grandfather, Thomas Jefferson Hicks.
Born in February my mom was always the unique individual.
Ruthe Age 18 months

Like her mother Rosa, she loved to sew and loved dolls from an early age. Her mother died when she was 12 and her step-mother was not so nice. In fact she shut her in the closet when she disobeyed (and what "corker" wouldn't test the rules) so in later years she was known for her claustrophobia.
Her favorite Uncle was "Lige" Ruthe is shown peeking over him along with all of her dolls and their furnature

She loved beautiful dresses and three generations have worn this blue velvet dress. Me and my daughter wore it for a Halloween costume. The photo below was taken at Musso & Frank's New Years' Eve 1946.
In 1960 I am seen with my "Mummy" at our High School Backwards Dance wearing the famous Blue Velvet Dress seen on my mother to the right.

She wasn't always glamorous, but was ready to do her part during World War II. She worked for Lockheed in their drafting department. She rode this scooter to work every day, even when she was pregnant with me.

After I was born, She turned her sewing talents to making clothing for her two daughters. This photo shows the beautiful blue and pink coats she made us for Christmas. They had little ermine tails and we had muffs to match.
Every year we'd visit Santa at Bullocks in Pasadena, California. My mom made our dresses and coats. I am about four years old and my sister is about two and a half.
One of my favorite photos was taken professionally when she came to visit my family in Arkansas in 1983.
The act of Remembering is one of love and we should always be found in remembrance of those in our family who were special to us. My husband asked me what I would recall about my mother besides her unique tell it like it is way of living. I said, she was the kindest, most thoughtful person I've ever known. Yes, she was a character! I often find myself using her funny slang phrases, or sticking my tongue out like she did when she didn't like something, but I mostly remember all the little notes, letters and cards she sent and the crafted (usually knit or crochet) goodies she made for others. She NEVER forgot a birthday, either in her family or in her church ward family where she served as ward and stake Relief Society secretary.
So how could I forget her 100th birthday! Happy Birthday, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment