Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Power of the Written Word


Selecting an Annual Theme and Writing Your Life Mission Statement
SCRIPTURE: “And behold, it is wisdom in God that we should obtain these records, that we may preserve unto our children the language of our fathers.
                        “And also that we may preserve unto them the words which have been spoken by the mouths of all the holy prophets, which have been delivered unto them by the Spirit and power of God, since the world began, even down to this present time.”
–1 Nephi 3:19-20
 “Remember to Start this Study Session with a Prayer”

MY QUESTION FOR YOU: After studying your patriarchal blessing, have you come to love your written blessing and the patriarch who was worthy enough to seek God’s will for you and speak with inspiration and revelation on your behalf?
            Let us liken the scriptures unto ourselves for the moment. If you indeed have come to love your own personal scripture you will appreciate the words of God unto Nephi when he was asked to kill Laban for plates that recorded his family’s history and scriptures:
            “It is better that one man should perish than a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief.” –1 Nephi 4:13
            We may never find ourselves in that unique position, but the importance of the written word to God is very evident in our scriptures. Keeping records is a sacred enterprise. A record is a written account. There is power in the written word. It is the Priesthood binding power.
            “Whatsoever you record on earth shall be recorded in heaven, and whatsoever you do not record on earth shall not be recorded in heaven.” –Doctrine and Covenants 128:8
           
MY SUGGESTION: Write down your goals! Now select a theme for the year, then write a mission statement for the year.
Mission Statement for a Family
Let me tell you the story of my themes (usually phrases from my Patriarchal Blessing) and mission statements over the years. Over 30 years ago, my mother’s ward asked each of it’s member families to select a motto or theme and then design a banner. My mom’s married name was Gillette. So she selected “Be Sharp” as her theme or motto and we designed a banner using a single edged razor blade and a razor. It looked very bold on it’s shield shaped banner.
            My husband and I selected a Family Theme or Motto in the 1990s. It basically said we would do all we could in the area of family history. Over the years since, this has indeed been an overarching motto for the Field family. As for myself, I have adopted a rather loose system of mission statements AND themes for myself. I suspect one I wrote quite a few years ago would still be my LIFE's mission statement. However, as an artist  I’ve designed art work for the cover’s of my annual journals with my theme on the front. It is a reminder of what I’ve set my mind to during the year. 
Personal Annual Themes and Inspiring Mission Statements
Let me share some examples of what I’ve used for themes and mission statements ranging from the very basic to more complex.
1979    Become a Virtuous Woman based on Proverbs 31:10-12
1982    Feast Upon the Words of Christ   2 Nephi 31:20
1986    If I am diligent in study and prayer I will center my life on the Blessings of the Priesthood through research into my family history, temple service and reverent contemplation there.
1987 (the year following my daughter’s birth) I bless you that you shall become a mother in Israel was my theme and my objective was,  “I select to know the Lord’s way by study and prayer because I esteem and love Him.” My mission statement was “Faith is a principle of action and power, and by it one can command the elements or influence circumstances when occasion warrants. Although faith is a gift, it must be cultivated and sought after until it grows from a tiny seed to a great tree. One of the effects of true faith in Jesus Christ includes an actual knowledge that the course of life one is pursuing is acceptable to the Lord. Faith, when made manifest in an individual’s life, brings revelation and knowledge as well as an inheritance in the promised land.”
1990    Theme: As a natural Israelite I must gain a perfect knowledge and understanding of the Lord’s ways and dedicate my life to serving Him and doing His will and keeping His commandments. More specifically I shall bring to pass much righteousness and be an influence for good amongst fellow associates, friends, become a dedicated mother in Israel, have a spirit of love and harmony with my husband, and search out my forefathers to perform their temple ordinances.
2011    Theme taken from my blessing: Diligently Seek to know His Way by Study and Prayer and He will Answer every Need that you have.
            My 2011 Focus and Goals are based on this verse which I call my 2011 mission statement: “Our minds being now enlightened, we began to have the scriptures laid open to our understanding, and the true meaning and intention of their more mysterious passages revealed unto us in a manner which we never could attain previously, nor ever before thought of.” –Joseph Smith, JS History verse 74
            As you can see, consistency was not evident over the years with terminology, however, the intent or over-arching concept shines through. I did not know in 1979 that I would use my Patriarchal Blessing every year to inspire me, help me set goals and to know the Lord’s desires for me each year, much less that I’d write this blog. Thus, over the years I have used various terms to describe Theme, Goals, Objectives, Mission Statements, etc. I suggest you simply use what terms feel right to you, that will inspire you, that may be read by your descendants to show your testimony and progress in the gospel of Jesus Christ.

QUOTE: “The quest to become more like our Lord and Savior is to be more spiritually attentive, more personally sensitive, more tender and gracious.” –Robert L. Millet (Church News Week ending Jan 2, 2010 (See Preach My Gospel, 2004, Chapter 6)
            Our Stake President asked each of us to select an attribute of Christ to work on during the month each month. This was a very sobering experience. He suggested we read about some of these attributes in "Preach My Gospel."
 Attributes of Christ
THOUGHT: In January of each year, the Church News  devotes a portion of one issue to a selected theme that can be applied by individuals toward self-betterment in the new year. In 2010 the special issue was dedicated to the topic of “developing Christ-like attributes.” The theme was meant to be a help to Church members seeking to strengthen values in a world that seems to be void of them. Some of these attributes include faith, hope, charity/love, virtue, knowledge, patience, humility, diligence and obedience.
            I looked up the sixth chapter in Preach My Gospel and found fourteen attributes. I wrote out a personal statement for each one of these. Here is my statement for FAITH:
“I will listen in faith to the prophets and know that God will direct me, lead me and guide me by revelation to be doing what I’ve agreed to do while here in my probationary state. Then I will have the faith to keep walking even when the way seems dark and the path unknown because He will be there for me every step of the way.”
            In every way we are a blessed people because the Church has helps that benefit individual members. Use these helps, including the On-line resources, to become what Heavenly Father wants you to become, and be found doing what He wants you to be doing at this time in your life. Your Patriarchal Blessing is the most personal of these helps.
The reason for this blog grew out of my own 2011 goals, and have written down my experiences with studying my own patriarch blessing and shared them with you my friends and fellow associates.
 Although I am concluding my "Understanding Your Patriarchal Blessing" series within my blog, I may add other insights someday especially if people who read these series of posts make comments. May your personal scripture be a delight to you and a beacon to guide you throughout your life, is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment