Thursday, February 23, 2012

Learning About Google Images Search

Today's Learning Project
I've been watching some short videos and Google+ help to figure out how to search online images. I have a photo that has fallen out of the logical place where it would have been filed in my genealogical research folders and the names of the women are not written on the back. I can not remember who sent me this photo or what family surname I was working on. So I thought that perhaps searching all the images online might help.


This was just the beginning of my search to learn how to let the Google+ search engine look for this or similar images on the web. Did I find out anything? Not today. So, if you know the women in this photo circa 1900 please let me know.
One video suggest trying a search for yourself. They showed how to just drag and drop an image from your desktop to the search box and click on search while in images.google.com. I'm going to try that next. Do I have a photo of me on my desktop, no, so guess I first have to place one there, or use a photo already in a folder on my desktop. hmmmmm
The love of Photos Came From Wondering Who I Looked Like in My Family
I have loved photography since I was a child. I wanted to know who in my family I looked like the most. My father told me during my first year in college that I looked just like him. Well, ya know, that really wasn't a complement. But later on I discovered a photo of his mother, Anna Mae Gough when she was a young woman (high school age probably) and I really DID look like her. I got a Brownie Camera when I was in grade school and took photos of my Camp Fire Girls group, took it to Summer Camp with me, and took photos of my dad when he visited. I even took photos of friends in the neighborhood. I'm so glad that I did this because I've been able to share these with people I've reconnected to during the last couple of years. My 50th high school reunion was last year and we all began reconnecting. It's been a blast. One told me about how my family always had tacos on Friday night. I didn't remember this but certainly still have a love of tacos. In fact if you gave me a choice between a hamburger or a taco... taco would win. 
When I went to Mexico for 6 weeks in graduate school for a painting and drawing class, I took photos. I'd been documenting my life travels with photos for many years prior to this, so it was natural for me. It really is true for us visually oriented people that a photo is worth a thousand words.

No comments:

Post a Comment